Friday, December 4, 2009

Black Ice

This morning, Rich (aka Snuffy-as in the elusive Snuffleupagus. Much talked about but seldom seen) and I set off on another beloved Grandeur loop. The temp at the start was a refreshing 20 degrees. Add the lovely Parleys Canyon early morning gale force wind and the tears in the corner of my eyes were frozen in about 3.7 seconds. We took it easy to the top by the light of an almost full moon. Descending into Church Fork we prudently donned Yaktrax to help with the footing. Last weeks loop proved to be treacherous with long stretches of ice and I figured we'd need a little traction. The ice was so hard and so slick that we still shuffled our slow way down slipping and sliding through some sections. A couple falls, a bruised and bloody hip and a broken Yaktrax later, and I've decided my renewed weekly forays up Grandeur Peak will stop at week two until there is fresh snow or the temperature hits 65 degrees. I'd strongly advise anyone else to do the same.

No comments: