This Friday Peter, Erik, Greg, Christian and Jay venture north for Jared Campbell and Ryan McDermott’s Pocatello 50. We’re excited!
Oddly, it’s quite rare that our schedules and race interests converge and we all end up at an event together. When that does happen, it creates an opportunity to see an eclectic (and perhaps bizarre) assortment of pre-race routines and rituals. Each of us is competitive, and we want to perform at our best. And in an effort to do so, each of us has developed a pre-race routine that at least in our own minds, will contribute to a good day. Here’s a sample of what will be happening in advance of the 6:00 am start of the Pocatello 50.
- NEVER eat a pre-race dinner provided by a race
- A cup of coffee before bed for a good night’s sleep
- White shirt and hat if it is going to be sunny
- A light breakfast 90 minutes before the race
- Clip toe nails while drinking 1 beer
- Avoid dairy and acidic foods
- Crinkle race number and pin onto shorts before going to bed
- Lay out and inventory clothing for race day
- Poop before the race – low volume meal the night before
- Poop before the race – wake up 90-120 minutes before the race
- Poop before the race – several cups of coffee immediately after waking up
- Poop before the race – make colonic motility a reality through concentration and visualization
- Eat whatever sounds good for dinner (burger, pasta, curry) – followed by peanut M&M’s
- Adhere Band-Aids on the nips and lubricate the more sensitive areas
- ONLY Darn Tough socks for the feet on race day
- Look at the race map in advance if there is time and motivation. Otherwise just show up!
- Don't change anything on race day, that said…
- Eat fish and rice the night before a race
- Eat a little yogurt and Grapenuts for breakfast + good coffee (espresso shots preferred)
- Arrive a few minutes early to see good friends that haven’t been seen since the last race
What pre-race routines, activities or talismans help you run better? Is there a preferred food, a special shirt, a certain song that you feel gives you an edge. For the first person to match the above routines to the correct person (Peter, Erik, Greg, Christian, Jay) – a $20.00 gift certificate to Salt Lake Running.